Are you vegan or newly vegan? If so, a large part of the learning curve can be figuring out how to shop. At Freshkala, we offer fast, same-day deliveries across Los Angeles for as low as $12.99 to make getting all your vegan grocery needs safe and easy. To help ease your shopping experience, we have compiled a list of 7 basic vegan necessities to have in your pantry.
VEGAN GROCERY LIST
There are many different types of vegetables, all of which should have a place in the weekly rotation in your diet. Filling your diet with whole foods will provide you with an excellent source of vitamins and minerals.
- Root - rich in both soluble and insoluble fiber, root vegetables are great for your gut health and gut bacteria. Some items to add to your list: yams, beets, parsnips, turnips, carrots, onions, garlic
- Non-Starch - high in nutrients and low in calories, these vegetables are a great way to add a voluminous whole food to your diet. Some items to add to your list: broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, tomatoes, zucchini
- Starch - an excellent source of fiber, helps reduce blood sugar and cholesterol. Some items to add to your list: potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, legumes, lentils, corn, quinoa, peas, chickpeas
- WHOLE GRAINS
Whole grains are packed with beneficial nutrients like B Vitamins, fiber, antioxidants, and minerals such as copper, iron, zinc, and magnesium. Some items to add to your list: brown rice, barley, oats, popcorn, whole-wheat bread, whole-wheat pasta, buckwheat
Another whole food item, fruits are loaded with essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. A few are great protein replacements for vegans as well, like jackfruit. Other fruits to add to your list: banana, apple, berries, orange, acai, avocado
Seeds are high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are vital for brain function. While it’s best to eat them sparingly, you will benefit from having them as a part of your diet. Some items to add to your list: chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds
Many people who make the switch to full-time vegan are concerned they will not eat adequate amounts of protein without meat and eggs. This is simply not true! There are plenty of protein-packed alternatives that make excellent substitutes for any dish. Some items to add to your list: tofu, tempeh, portobello mushrooms, beans, jackfruit.
- DAIRY ALTERNATIVES
Like with meat, there are many vegan dairy alternatives available today at stores and restaurants alike. A few items to add to your list:
- Milk - almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, oat milk
- Cheese - nut cheese, or brands like daiya
- Yogurt - almond yogurt, cashewgurt, soy yogurt
- Butter - plant butter, avocado oil butter, califia farms butter
- MEAT & EGG ALTERNATIVES
Replacing meat can feel daunting when switching to vegan, but there are many options available to consumers to make the transition easy. There are popular plant-based meat and egg alternatives available in stores and restaurants, a few below:
- Beyond Meat
- Impossible Meat
- Just Egg
When taking on the challenge of starting a new diet, especially one with strict rules on what you can and cannot eat, it’s important to take the time to educate yourself on what’s acceptable and what’s not. You may need to first do a full purge of your kitchen to rid yourself of any items that no longer satisfy your vegan lifestyle and remove the temptation. Freshkala offers a wide variety of fresh produce and vegan options to meet all of your dietary needs. Order online today!
Shop now all your groceries from the best online Persian market in Los Angeles Freshkala.